Deputy Centre Supervisor DES - Operations
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Supervision:
• Collaborate with Centre Supervisor to lead a DriveTest Centre office, including all customer service
and Driver Examiner activities.
• Coordinate work flow within DriveTest Centre, including distribution of work, dissemination of
information, assigning staff to cover for absences, providing technical assistance, answering
questions and resolving problems.
• Serve as a liaison between the DriveTest Centre, other offices and outside agencies for the
distribution and collection of information to resolve operational issues.
• Educate staff in the use of the LCS system, introducing new versions and functions, and
troubleshoot system problems as they arise.
• Assist with planning and leading staff meetings.
• Assist with reviewing work performance, motivating staff to work more effectively, identifying
problems with performance and solutions to those problems, determining training needs to improve
performance, initiating informal measures to correct misconduct or making recommendations for
formal discipline with the assistance of Human Resources and DriveTest Centre Manager, when
• Regularly monitor the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of customer service and Driver
Examiner activities within area of responsibility.
• Ensure accurate compliance with all Business Management System (BMS) processes and
• Perform duties of Customer Service Agent and/or Driver Examiner as required.
Competencies and Skills:
Leadership - the ability to establish focus and provide motivational support. Communicate to ensure
employee in the unit support and understand how their work relates to the organization's Balanced Score
Card Approach. Acknowledge employees for their contributions and recognize and reward employees for
Communication - The ability to pass information to others with clarity and precision.
Oral communication: ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others.
Written communication: ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
Fostering teamwork - The ability to (and desire) to work cooperatively with others, while providing
leadership and guidance to ensure the success of all team participants.
Managing performance - The ability to take responsibility for one's own (and/or area of responsibility)
performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring feedback
and addressing performance issues promptly. Has the ability to multi-task, work well under pressure,
prioritize work load, meet deadlines, maintain confidentiality and work well with all levels of management, the
client and the public
Maximizing performance - The ability to assist with establishing performance/development goals, coaching
performance, providing training, and evaluating performance.
Empowerment - The ability to allow employees the freedom to decide how they will achieve their goals and
resolve issues. This includes conveying confidence in an employee's ability and delegating significant
authority and responsibility.
Customer Service Focus - The ability to listen to and understand the customer. This includes anticipating
customer needs and giving high priority to customer satisfaction.
Thoroughness- The ability to ensure that one's own work and other's work are complete and accurate.
Proven track record of high performance and creating a positive and productive work environment in
Managing work - The ability to efficiently and effectively identify priorities, manage time, effectively plan and
establish organized procedures to accomplish goals.
Decisiveness - The ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner.
Stress Management - The ability to keep functioning effectively when under pressure and maintain self
control in the face of hostility or provocation.
Personal credibility - To be perceived as responsible, reliable, and trustworthy
Managing change - The ability to demonstrate support for organizational changes needed to improve
organizational effectiveness. This includes initiating; sponsoring and implementing organizational change
and helping others manage change.
Technical expertise - The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area
Health & Safety:
• Ensures the ongoing maintenance of safe, healthy and sustainable working environment at a
DriveTest Centre including travel points, while observing compliance to management responsibilities
and legislation as per section 27 of the OHSA.
• Ensures employees are in compliance with the H&S rules and regulations.
• Assists with the scheduling and chairing of staff meetings to provide updates on the company’s
overall health, safety and environmental strategy, introduces new or revised policies and procedures
and encourages staff participation in the development of improvements.
Other / Projects:
• Will assume Centre Supervisor duties during their absence or may be asked to assume those duties
in other DriveTest Centres on behalf of the Centre Supervisor during their absence as assigned.
• May participate in Special Projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience:
• High level knowledge of CSA and DE duties including ability to perform basic CSA transactions and
conduct G1, G2 road tests and/or the ability to obtain certification. Ability to perform other road tests
(M1, M2, A,B,C,D,E, F and Z) an asset.
• Combined educational and/or leadership experience to efficiently supervise a number of employees
• Minimum of two years’ experience in Customer Service Agent and/or Driver Examiner position.
Excellent knowledge of the Graduated Licensing System, related legislation, regulations,
government and company policies to effectively supervise one or more DriveTest Centres in
an assigned area; provide expert information and advice to staff and the public.
o Good computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment, including Outlook, Word and
o Has the ability to multi-task, work well under pressure, prioritize work load, meet deadlines, maintain
confidentiality and work well with all levels of management, the client and the public
o Willingness and ability to continuously improve upon and upgrade skill set.
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc. Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S. Federal civilian agencies, the Intelligence Community, the Canadian government, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, Serco Americas has approximately 8,000 employees and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. At Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset - we listen, respect and support them throughout their career at Serco. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying our workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).